October 9, 2008

Pictures from the week

I took pictures all week long. Some for Sally, some for our kids at home (I didn't want them to come into ICU and freak out). You've READ about the past week, but pictures are always a nice balance. I'll put them in here chronologically...
Happy and clueless before surgery. She's pretty pumped about the 'fancy duds' we are wearing. The hospital's program allows one parent back in the OR but you've got to be dressed appropriately.

This is what Sally looked like when we got to her in the ICU. I took this and sent it home with my mom so she could let the kids see Sally. We weren't sure if they would be okay visiting her the next day, but they were. She said when Eli woke up on Friday the first thing he said was, "Did you bring a picture of Sally home last night?"

Our first glimpse of a smile. This was the "retake" after she saw her frowning face in another photo. She's without ventilator and various tubes by this point.

Feeling good enough to wear her handmade hospital gown. She got so many compliments on her assorted hospital garb and everyone LOVED her quilt (that's for you, Grandma).
In a moment of drug induced stupor Sally needed Dora to cuddle with her. That's a gigantic Dora balloon, by the way.
First meal in three days. Chicken broth, delightful.
I was a proud mama. All of the children were so brave. They are so little, but came to the hospital and absolutely tried their best to cheer their little sister up. They clamored for her attention and did silly things to make her smile. She adored their brief visits.
My three sisters came through with the one gift I tried to find for Sally before surgery--a Maisy doll. She came in the mail and was delivered by the three kids (who gave all credit to the Aunts). Sally was beside herself (well, as joyful as you can be while in pain and under the influence of drugs).
Seth took this picture because...it's funny. Really, when the nurse brought these diapers in we couldn't stop laughing. I think they are a men's large. Obviously, they didn't work very well. Every nurse that came in had heard about our "explosion". She's in her turtle shell, this is before her permanent casting.
Yesterday in the playroom. Her first time walking since surgery. I couldn't believe that we were even trying it! Thrilled beyond belief, she wanted me to call 'the guys' so they could come and meet her in the playroom.


the Steiger's said...

thank you so much for sharing these with us. I am crying right now and thanking God that the week is over for you. We are so thankful you are home. That is so amazing. Hugs and kisses from the Steiger clan.
love, Lenka

Anonymous said...

Wow - this is just amazing! I have been following Sally's journey all week long and cannot believe her progress! Praise God, indeed!

So glad that both of you are home with your other kiddlets - that will make her heal so much faster. :)

I continue to be in awe of you and your support of your children.

Blogging friend - Susan from TX

Amanda said...

Praise God for carrying Sally and you this far! He's got many more blessings in store. Keep us updated on recovery, and thanks for the pictures.

Austin, TX

Karen said...

Apryl - you are such a beautiful person - your spirit just shines! Sally is so lucky to have you for her mother! You are in our prayers and we are so thankful for this wonderful outcome! with love, Karen Wistrom

jill coen said...

Not to be superficial or anything, but your hair looks FABULOUS! ;)

Zack and Rebecca Caldwell said...

We are praising God with you! She had made so many strides already! Amazing!

Jori said...

I am so happy you are all home!! I am amazed at Sally and your family ~ you are allpreciouse! Will keep praying for recovery!
love, jori

mattandkristy said...

What a testimony of God's care and faithfulness. We don't get to see an "in your face miracle" too often...still praying for your family as recovery continues!