October 2, 2009

October 2

This day will forever be burned in my heart. The day we could have lost our daughter.

It seems like a dream.

Sally doesn't realize that she's a walking miracle. On hectic days, I forget, too, that God saved her that day and brought her out even stronger than before. I forget to thank him for placing her in our family. I get overwhelmed and want everyone to please. Just. Calm. Down.

But it's wonderful, in the early morning, as I read my Bible to stumble upon verses that I've underlined and written "Salomae 10/08" beside. Today, I saw one and it warmed my heart.

The Lord is my strength and shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him. Psalm 28:7

I will try to cherish our children and praise God for them. Their loud, silly chattering. Their toys scattered all over the floor. The books on sofas, rugs, and tables. Their incessant questions.

All of the things that seem like a nuisance are reminders that we have five miracles growing up in this house. I should enjoy the madness and mess, because it easily could have been one less child asking questions and scattering toys.

Oh, but it's so difficult to remember the big picture.

5 comments:

jill coen said...

Oh Apryl! They ARE all miracles. I forget that so often. Right now I'm watching Silas play cars with his training potty (that's in the living room) and feeling his brother in the womb kick the tar out of me....they are miracles. Thanks for the reminder.

the Steiger's said...

Apryl,
thank you so much for the reminder as i am looking at my floor well I am trying to find the floor.
And all those questions ... ..it never end. However I would not change it for anything.
They are blessings in our lives

E said...

I feel like God has been whispering this in my ear and writing it on my heart. It's such a sweet reminder reading your words here. Sounds cliche, but it's only a cliche because it's so true! Kids really are a miracle and a gift! I know this season will pass all too quickly. Yes, there's the mess and the noise. But I suspect I'll miss even that when I'm in another season. :)

ethiHOPEia said...

Mmmm...amen! What a precious gift they are. I can't tell you how often I forget the "big picture". Thanks for the reminder!

Blessings,
Hilary

beBOLDjen said...

It's hard to imagine how difficult it was for you to walk through all her health struggles. I'm praising God along with you for her health and for all your miracle kiddos.