November 5, 2008

This is what I woke up to...

...and I still voted. What's your excuse? I guess I did have a little extra time; we were awakened by Everett at 3:45 am exclaiming "EMERGENCY"!!! We hopped out of bed to find that a valve had blown off under the sink in the bathroom (an undetermined number of hours ago) and was spraying water everywhere. Seth ran down to the basement and turned off the water; in doing so he realized the impact was slightly more than just the upstairs bathroom or even hallway. There was a torrential downpour in the dining room and the basement below. About fifteen minutes later, as we're frantically trying to "mitigate the water damage" I heard a creaking sound and a rushing of water, this was followed by losing about a quarter of our ceiling as it plummeted to the floor with a loud crash (see left). Several hours later, after our best attempts to handle the situation "at the lowest level" and some arm twisting from the insurance company they brought in the big guns. We now have a sampling of state of the art drying apparatus positioned strategically around the house (see right). The kids and I were ordered to leave, so we're on "vacation" to beautiful Mom and Dad's house for at least five days. It looks like we'll be getting a new bathroom, several refinished floors, some new carpet and a new ceiling. Not to mention some "stuff" to replace the "stuff" that was destroyed. I emphasize stuff, because that's really all it is; this is not a tragedy, simply an inconvenience. By the way, Chuck Baldwin won right?! Maybe this flood destroying a TV and a computer isn't such a bad thing after all, this way I can just write history as I imagine it to be.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, wow.

I hope T-shirts make everything OK, they should be there tomorrow.

Praying for you guys.

ethiHOPEia said...

You NEVER have a moments breath, do you? I am so sorry you had such a crazy thing happen!
I hope we still get to meet you on the 15th though! :)
Blessings,
Hilary

beBOLDjen said...

Seriously WOW. What a mess. Sorry for the inconvenience.

jill coen said...

Oh my goodness.

Here's the funny thing...the word verification for my comment is "dulness". Dullness with a missing "l". Oh the irony!

Carpenters said...

"Wow" is really all there is to say. Wow! You seem to be handling it well. Praise God for grandparents close by.

With Love,
Penelope

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Whoever said life should be simple!? Enjoy being with your parents! I'll be praying for you! Love from me!

Penny Smith said...

It has been awhile since I checked in!!
Praise for Sally and her recovery!

And I give you LOTS of credit for being so tolerant of the water situation! WOW! I mean, I know being frazzled is a waste of time, but sometimes ya have to let it out. :)

Anyway, lots of prayers!!

Anonymous said...

Apryl.
You've been gone FOREVER. I hope you are able to move home soon!
Jen