May 2, 2007

Good food, good fellowship

Last night we had an wonderful evening! We trekked about an hour away to an Ethiopian restaurant. The food was great but the company was even better. We were excited to talk to our friends about their recent referral of two girls, discussing what their lives are like now and what their plans are for the next few weeks. They, in turn, were excited to talk to us about living out our faith and challenged us to "put our money where our mouth is." This is something that Seth and I have struggled with for years. We are both fed up with what Christianity has become in our nation. I can't begin to comprehend what others around the world endure for their faith, or the struggles that most of the world has to endure because of poverty, hopelessness, disease... BUT I know that I have hope based on God's Word. How do I live this out in my day to day life? Some people would say, "Look at the great thing your family is doing! You are giving a home to two children who would languish away in an orphanage in one of the most poverty sticken counties in the world."

We aren't great people, we aren't doing a great thing, we are doing what God has called us to do. Beyond that, what are we doing with our lives and the blessings (ie. children) that God has given us? I'm confronted by this a lot lately, and try to supress it because I feel like a downpour on the parade of middle class life. I bite my tongue when these feelings begin to bubble up. I told Seth last night, "We can't adopt the world, and we can't make adoption our ministy. What are we going to do with our lives?"

What are you going to do with your life? God has a plan for each one of us, His greatest hope is to welcome you into eternity--do you have the hope of eternal life spent in heaven with Him? If so, are you doing what He has called his church to do? He has called us to tell others about Him and to live our lives in a manner that those around us could only see Him in us. I can't honestly say that I lead a life "worthy of this calling" (2 Thes 1:11). Are you living a life that glorifies Jesus Christ (2 Thes 1:12)?

Go visit this family and see what they are doing to further God's kingdom.

No comments: