December 9, 2015

Seven days in Dressember

I got caught today not wearing my black dress!  It's the first time I haven't been in it. It was in the dryer and the baby was asleep downstairs, so I couldn't get it out in time to leave for piano lessons.  A legitimate reason for running around sans dress.  I got caught nonetheless, call me a fraud if you must.

This experiment has been interesting on so many levels.  At first I thought it was no big deal, but I am having conversations about human trafficking nearly daily!  That means I needed to beef up on my knowledge so I'm speaking intelligently.  That also means that dressember works.  The fundraising is amazing, but the awareness is miraculous.  I have had so many people declare, "I had no idea.  Here in the United States?!"

Yes, I can't make this stuff up.  It's terrible, but it's true.

The other odd side note is that I have too many clothes.  If I can wear the same dress day in and day out, then I probably don't need a full closet, dresser and off-season bin.  I can't say that I don't desire a little variety, but you can really do a lot with a simple black dress.  By December 31 I will probably want to burn this thing, but for now, it's serving me well.

Dressember Day 1

$32 billion generated annually by human trafficking, December 2 is Int'l Day to Abolish Slavery.


It's more than just a dress! According the dressember.org human trafficking is the fastest growing criminal industry.
 
This statistic is from unlockfreedom an organization that works to educate young people on the dangers of trafficking here in the U.S. Thirteen years old...that's my Ella and Elijah.

According to force 4 compassion, 3,287 men, women, and children are sold or kidnapped and forced into slavery every day.
Wearing my dress to lacrosse practice. Dressember is fundraising to support A21, this video tells the story of one of the 1-2% who survive trafficking. http://www.a21.org/content/nicoles-story/gjdpkr?permcode=gjdpkr

My sisters and Mom have been sharing information as well.  It's been an incredible experience to see their pictures daily along with the stats they have found.  It's a project in awareness for all of us.

No comments: